You bestie is getting married and it finally happened…… you’ve been asked to be her bridesmaid. You’re ready to talk all things weddings at the drop of the hat. But if you’re a first-time bridesmaid, it can also be a bit nerve-wracking too. So, check out some of my favorite tips of being a bridesmaid!!
1. LISTEN to the bride Wedding planning brings all sorts of stresses, so you need to be the calm in the midst of all the wedding madness. Be the bride’s confidante, let her vent if she needs to, talk non-wedding things if that’s what she needs too and try to help her see the fun side if she’s starting to get overwhelmed.
2. Show you’re interested in helping her gather inspiration and idea…it’s all about making her feel comfortable to talk weddings and building up the hype! I mean a wedding day is super exciting after all!
3. Attend dress fittings of course it’s your job to help your girl find her dream dress, but it’s also a good idea to be there for the fitting too to find out how to help her into it, and tie up the bustle if there is one when it’s time to hit the dance floor. (If you’re anything like me, I had NO IDEA how to bustle a dress)
3. Brides are already overwhelmed, offer to take specific tasks off her plate. Whether it’s chasing up RSVPs or finding the perfect shade of navy for the ties, delegation can be tricky for some brides so make it one less thing on her to-do list.
4. Be on makeup and lipstick alert all day. The makeup artist will be long gone so it’s up to you to keep the blushing bride, well, blushing! Be the MOH who carries the lip gloss around, its fine and brides appreciate you for it.
5. Stay nearby for the photos, just because the ceremony is over doesn’t mean you can sneak off for a drink – your pal might need help adjusting her dress or someone to hold her bouquet. and if you don’t have a day of coordinator, you’re also probably going to need to wrangle guests for all the different group portraits!
6. Be the first one to join them on the dance floor. It’s a party after all and what better group of friends to dance with the bride and groom than their wedding party!
xo, Dayna J
photo by: Andrew Bair Photography